Do You Love "Preloved"? Helpful Tips In Shopping Second Hand

Do you like "preloved"? Preloved items? Bags, shoes, or clothing? Or do you also like a preloved man? Or a preloved woman? Hahaha! 
Because of the tight economy, people are nowadays open to buy auction items and second hand products. To make it sound appealing, second hand items are called "pre loved". Pre loved clothing, shoes and bags, furnitures, cars, gadgets, and so on.

America has EBay, The Netherlands has Marktplaats, and the Philippines have UK, short for ukay-ukay. My husband is a member of Marktplaats. He already sold many used items through Marktplaats, and we also bought good used items in Marktplaats, the table and chair of our son, our wood cabinet for my husband's iMac, and the steel that my husband made as a fence in our fish pond.

In The Philippines, ukay-ukay is famous. Ukay means digging. You dig from a many used items to pick what you feel is the best. Many Filipina celebrities are wearing branded or vintage items that they bought in ukay-ukay. They are even flaunting about their digs!
my favorite vase is preloved.

this vase I bought for 0.60 euro

There are some second hand shops here in our town. The biggest one I think is the Het Goed, and the other second hand shops are just a small shop. I discovered Het Goed when another Filipina took me there. I saw how big the store is. They sell many items, almost all sorts of items, books, kitchen items, paintings, antiques, bags, shoes and, clothes. When I have time, I enjoy going there. It is so relaxing to look at the beautiful old items. I bought a flower vase there, some fancy things for the house, some shoes, bags, and some branded clothes.
my son graduated already to this buggy. My husband bought at Marktplaats.

this chair, convertable to chair and table is also a preloved. We love it for our son until now.

Since I don't shop pre loved items online, only my husband, I will give some helpful tips when shopping preloved items at second hand shops:

1. Do not take or bring children. Second hand items are kept for quite a long time before they are disposed, they might have a kind of smell that are not good for children. I remember, one time I went to a second hand shop in Manila and the smell of the goods caused me sneezing.

2. Go the a second hand shop when you are not in a hurry and at the time when there are not many shoppers. I am telling you, the selections in second hand shops are almost endless. You will get fascinated for almost everything, even you are not going to buy all items on display. Hahahah! The best time to go is in the morning, before lunchtime. Second hand shops are crowded in the afternoon.

3. Fit to fit. Do not hesitate to fit any clothing you like to buy. Fit than to be sorry. If you do not like to fit items that belongs to someone you do not know without washing it first, just make sure that it fits you. Sometimes, sizes are misleading. The small can be medium and the big can be small.


4. Check the items for any damages. They are at the second hand shop because they were already used, or preloved. But there are also items that are being sold as good as new.

5. Bring cash. Some second hand shops do not accept cards.

I hope this blog can help you in a way or another. Good morning and I am wishing you all a nice weekend!

Comments

  1. I buy pre-loved or used things too. Some older things just aren't manufactured any more and impossible to get unless you buy used. Lots of old kitchen tools are often more useful than most of todays offerings.

    Sometimes clothing (I don't like spending a lot to wear nice clothes if I can buy them second hand).

    We've lived like that for most of our marriage - first because it was the only way to afford some things, but now ... because I don't see the point in spending three times as much money for new, when "nearly new" is available.

    Penny pinching saves money for other things. More important things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahah! Good morning, Gracey! Yes, I am glad there are second hand stores, I love visiting them. I have a dear friend in Denmark, she buys second hand items here, from old lamps to furnitures and she had a shop in Denmark that are making old into new! then she is selling them to a higher price. I found many items myself that are "nearly new." Thanks for a very nice commend.

      Delete
  2. There is nothing wrong in buying things already used, for esample sometimes I like to have things that were used in a certain degree by someone because they are more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True, Florentina. There are items that are as good as new. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts